A Week of Winter Poetry - Day One

Monday, March 2, 2020


Hello Dear Friend! Welcome to the first installment in my 'Week of Winter Poetry'. I so enjoy writing poetry in my free time, and although someday I hope to publish my poems in book-form, this week I will just be sharing them here with you. I think these will be the perfect posts to read with a cup of tea and perhaps some biscuits - so please get cozy! I hope you have a delightful time reading these poems for I had a wonderful time writing them. And now to our first one:

Winter's Day Reading
From my poetry notebook

It's true I like to go for walks 
In Winter's whitest snow
For I find that nature seems to talk
In the stillness as I go.
But there are days (much like today)
When staying cooped up is better.
For all the snow has melted away
And been replaced with rainy weather.
So what is one to do you ask
When kept holed up at home?
My favorite thing it to grab a book
for in my head I can roam.
Suddenly I'm in Paris
With the Eiffel tower shining bright.
And I'm standing on a terrace
In a gown as black as night.
Or now I'm traveling east to west
With a sword strapped to my side
Clothed in armor on a magic quest
To make a princess my bride.
And now I'm a desperate maiden 
Wandering over the moor
With fears and hopes heavy-laden
To find the truth behind the lore.
And when it's time for dinner, well
I'll leave those worlds behind
But they stay with me - like a spell
Yes they're always in my mind.
And so perhaps, next day it rains
I'll find a book to lend
For after reading it, one thing remains:
To share it with a friend!


Are you doing any winter reading? This is the time of year I find time to read, since it can be so cold and unfriendly outside my door. Right now I am reading a book I got for Christmas: "I Will Repay" by Baroness Emmuska Orczy - a sequel to her famous "The Scarlet Pimpernel". I fell in love with this book last year and have since read it three times, so it's wonderful to move on now to the second book. What are you reading Friend? Please share below in the comments! I am always looking for a good book recommendation!

9 comments

  1. Hello Emily! Your poem is lovely; thank you! You inspire me to write poetry again. It's been far too long!

    I'm am finishing up a book called "Hinds' Feet on High Places," by Hannah Hurnard. Have you read it? It is very spiritually encouraging and challenging for the follower of Jesus, and the writing style is most enjoyable. There are so many flowers and mountains and scenic descriptions, it makes me think you would love it very much.

    God bless you on this cold winter's day,
    Maggie ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Maggie, you really must share some of your poetry with me. I would love to read it!
      Also, I will have to look up the book you mentioned - it sounds delightful! Thank you for the recommendation!

      Delete
    2. Hello, Emily...I pulled out my poetry notebook, and found one for you, which I’ve titled Morning Diamonds. I hope you enjoy it!

      See all the diamonds on the lawn
      And, what a lovely sight!
      They sparkle color on and on;
      They sprang up overnight!

      While we can spot them in the light,
      Come help me to collect them.
      Each one is precious, a delight;
      We have cause to protect them!

      Why see here, a curious thing!
      They’re not diamonds at all!
      But, don’t you feel rich as a king?
      For this is God’s dew-fall.

      Love,
      Maggie ♥

      Delete
    3. Oh Maggie, this totally made my morning! Thank you so much for sharing it with me! I will be writing it down so I don't lose track of it, it's so beautifully written, you should be very proud of it. Again - thank you so much for sharing it with me!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Emily! Your poem is just so lovely. It is true; books transport us wherever we would like to go. I am reading The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James. I usually have three or four books going at once so I can choose the one I am fit for at the time, but one for now seems just right. This is my year for gentlemen authors, although a few ladies do find their way into my stack. And Dickens is always on the list. Your winter weather is beautiful. We have had very little winter here. The trees are budding and flowers are blooming. In Texas, a frost is very likely to visit in March, but I am not sure it will this year. Several spring birds have made their way to my birdbath, so maybe spring is here to stay. Wishing you warmth and happiness. ~Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, Donna! It certainly sounds like Spring has come to your door. I fear it's still a ways off here but I'm not too sad about it. It will come soon!
      I normally read just one book at a time, but at the moment I find myself in the middle of three! Haha! It certainly is a change but a fun one. I hope you are well! Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  3. No laughing, really, I am sorry, but your name seems to escape my searching? What is your first and last name? Just send it to my email ginaannwatkinsday@gmail.com Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry about it at all! I emailed you last night - let me know if it didn't go through! :)

      Delete
  4. Helloooooooooooooop! Long time since I have spoken to you, but I am back to publishing! Remember? https://poetrywithpanache.blogspot.com/ I have a new email dayanngina@gmail.com I would love to hear from you! Also, I am on Facebook, are you?

    ReplyDelete