On My Vanity

Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Ever since I was a little girl I have always dreamed of having a vanity or fancy dressing table. I believe this want comes from watching the animated 'Cinderella' so much as a child - her room may have been sparse but I have dreamed about it ever since! Not only did she have a lovely vanity and mirror, she had a dressing screen - another piece of furniture I pine after. Also, who wouldn't want birds to give you a shower in the morning and mice to help you sew your clothes?

If you look at old drawings of my 'dream home' I made when I was younger, there were always the same things: a spiral staircase, a claw-footed bathtub, a room completely devoted to books (with a ladder that rolls around the room! This was taken from another of my favorite child-hood movies, 'Beauty and the Beast'), a dressing screen, and of course a vanity. 

Last winter when my mother-in-law Melissa was building the doll house of her dreams, she asked me if I would like her vanity table as there soon wouldn't be room for it in her room. Believe me, I tried to curb my excitement but I don't know if I succeeded. The vanity didn't move over to the Barn until a while later, but what a fun day that was! I felt like a little girl putting things in the drawers and setting things up just so. I have enjoyed redecorating it every month or so - it's just so fun to have it all set up with things I love - things that bring me joy whenever I see them.

I thought it would be fun to share my vanity with you Dear Friend, and to show you some of the things that have their special places on it.

A snippet from my poetry notebook:

Upon it sit my treasures: things dainty, clear and bright.
Bottles, powders and fragrance that fills me with delight.
And in the shining mirror I seem more glamorous by far,
My reflection seems to be of some forgotten movie star.
And in it's pretty drawers, tucked in and hidden away
Hankies, letters, a favorite hat - things to brighten up my day.
If only every hour could be spent just sitting here -
I would be like a child playing dress-up, that much is very clear!



It's true, whenever I get to sit in front of it and get ready for a dance or perhaps a date I feel like a little girl playing dress-up! As I said, I redecorate the top of my new vanity every month or so, but there are a few things that always find their way on to it or are tucked carefully away in one of the large drawers...

Perfume- I can still remember the first bottle of perfume I ever received. It was from my parents and I got it in my Christmas stocking when I was around 13. I considered it so precious I only used it for the most special of occasions (and because of this I didn't run out of it until after I was married!).

Yes, I had always considered perfume something for special occasions, but now I am allowing myself to wear it whenever I feel like it - just because it brings me joy and makes me happy! I received a bottle of Summer Hill perfume for Christmas from my father and mother-in-law and I do believe it is my new favorite! This is the same fragrance that scents the drawer-liners in my vanity - absolutely one of my favorites.

Lotion- I wear lotion everyday, and although I'm not too picky about what goes on my hands, I am picky about what I put on my face (I'm almost 30! When is this acne going to leave me alone?! Haha!). The Crabtree & Evelyn line of lotion is my go-to - the scents are beautiful and make me feel like a princess. My favorite scents are Rosewater, Lilac, and again - Summer Hill.

Powder- I received pieces from the Brambly Hedge vanity set for Christmas, one of which was the powder box - so of course I needed some powder to go in it! I had seen the Woods of Windsor powders in my favorite catalog 'Victorian Trading Co.' several times, and was thrilled to find a lily of the valley scent. My goodness, I don't think I've ever owned something so luxurious!

Makeup- As a general rule I don't wear a lot of makeup. Just a little concealer and some powder and that's it! But I do so enjoy wearing my vintage and retro dresses, and these always call for an extra touch. For this I like to curl my hair and perhaps do a victory roll or two, and who doesn't feel special wearing some red lipstick? I was very lucky to be given some products from Besame at Christmas, a makeup company that recreates real vintage makeup! Now if I could only figure out how to do a proper winged eyeliner, I would be set - haha!



Memories- I don't think my vanity would be quite complete if I didn't have some love notes and letters tucked away inside it! Ever the hopeless romantic, I of course have some special things hidden away: a birthday card from my mom & dad, a mermaid doll made by my sister Abigail, my garden journal - awaiting the arrival of spring. These are the things that truly make it special I think.


I do hope you have enjoyed this little look at my vanity, Friend. Now tell me, do you have a vanity or a dressing table? What sorts of special things do you keep on it? I would love to hear! Please share with me below in the comments. Until next time, Dear Friend!


2 comments

  1. Wonderful post dear Emily! Your imagination and poetry are so comforting. (Sigh) How I’ve always longed for a vanity with a little stool!! Jared and I have been looking for one since we’ve been married...the day will come l just know it will :D. I built my dream home in architecture class in high school ( a model of course)...it definitely had a spiral staircase that my partner and I somehow fashioned to work despite the small scale. Keep writing away, brilliant friend!!!☀️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thats nice, im happy for you! I got one for my 15 birthday and its always been with me. Ive redecorated it so many times along the years. Right now i is shabby chic like my bedroom. I hope i can manage to upload a picture (the wire tied is fairy lights i turn on in the evening when i get back from work). Send you a big hug and keep reading you in the hygge comunity on facebook!

    ReplyDelete