Wont You be my Valentine?

Wednesday, February 12, 2020


How I always look forward to Valentine's Day, Friend! There's just something so fun and special about making a valentine for a friend or loved one. Memories of elementary school parties and boxes filled to the brim with notes and brightly colored paper (and of course...candy!) fill my head as I sit down to write this. Valentine's Day is one of my most favorite holidays because it's a day anyone can be a little crafty, whether they have amazing skills or not! The gift of a personal valentine, made with lots of time and care, is simply a lovely present, wouldn't you agree?

This last week I decided to make a whole stack of valentines! Crepe paper, embelishments, stickers, and glitter were spread all over the table - it may have been hard to see me as I was so burried in crafting supplies, haha! Oh, but what a fun time I had! It's been a long while since I sat down and crafted for hours. Here's a little rundown of what I did if you would like to replicate the valentines I made:

There really is nothing to it! I cut out a heart template from some scrap paper and traced it onto scrapbooking paper and cut them out. Then I scrunched up crepe paper ribbons and slowly made my way around the hearts, taping the crepe paper down as I went. After the crepe paper ruffles are all done, I tape another heart to the back so the valentine is pretty from both sides. Then, you simply have to decorate it in whatever way you wish!



But it wasn't just me who has been busy with Valentine's Day preperations. The dolls over in Melissa's doll house have been busy bees as well! I may have given them some tips for their valentine making, but they learned very quickly and had a whole party making valentines for their friends.




Their table may have been even messier than mine! Well, maybe...


I sent out a whole stack of my valentines to my penpals and friends far away. It was rather humorous when I went to the post office with them - I had written 'DO NOT BEND' on all the pretty packages and what does the post office clerk do? He takes the first one and bends it completely in half! I think my husband and I must have looked at him with a little shock because he asked "Are these really not supposed to be bent? Or do you just not want them to be creased?" Oh well, so much for that, haha!

After hearing of my plight at the post office, the dolls decided to give theirs to their friends personally, rather than risk more rude post office clerks. It turned into a sort of game, as they had a lovely time hiding the valentines all over the house for sisters and friends to find. Some were even given special treatment and personally delivered, along with a 'how-do-you-do' and a jar of strawberry preserves from last summer.






Since I made so many valentines, I have one special one leftover! I would love to send it to one of you, Dear Friends. If you would like to join a little giveaway for a valentine from me to you, simply leave a comment down below telling me your favorite part of Valentine's Day. I'll randomly pick a winner this coming Friday! Make sure you don't comment anonymously, for I wont be able to contact you.

I pray your Valentine's Day is full of family, friends, and all those you love and cherish. And may your February be filled with joy! Have a happy Valentine's Day Dear Friend!


"We love because he first loved us."
1 John 4:19

5 comments

  1. Such a charming valentines, for big and small! And those papers are a treasure, nice retro.
    I love all sorts of crafting, especially for Valentine's Day, unfortunately our country is one of the few, where it isn't celebrated. It's called Friends Day here instead. Which isn't bad if it weren't celebrated only among kids. And of course they don't sell Hershey Kisses here either - what for, when there is no day for it, ha!
    But I'll get my best friends gifted with a self made card and let them think of me as a childish. :) Even my 17-year old daughter considers it childish, I guess I'll surprise her with a tussie-mussie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Emily. I always enjoy your blog posts. This one is so very special, too. My favorite part of Valentine's Day. That is an easy one for me. It is the day I married the love of my life. Twenty nine years ago, on February 14, we said I do. And we still do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, I love these! There’s something really cool about your doll photos too. Have you done much with these photo in Lightroom? There’s a free app!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post made my day! What charming pictures; they filled me with such nostalgia! 💘💓💞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica - You won the Valentine from me! Please send me a message with your address so I can send it out to you. Hope you had a lovely Valentine's Day!

      Delete