A Week of Winter Poetry - Day Five

Friday, March 6, 2020

There is simply nothing better than finding a letter or parcel awaiting you in your mailbox. It's one of my favorite things! I am blessed to have penpals all over the United States and beyond who I am friends with - some now for over five years, before I was even married! The poem for today is all about the joy I find in writing and receiving letters. Do share with me below - Do you have any penpals? Do you make a practice of writing letters or cards often? I would love to hear!

Letter From a Friend
From my poetry notebook

I received a letter on a snowy day
   in my post box by the road.
It was from a friend quite far away,
   that's what the postmark showed.
I got some biscuits, made some tea,
   and sat down to read her news -
The sight of her handwriting filled me with glee!
   Yes the letter I quickly perused.
"I'm very well and how are you?
   Yes things 'round here are fine.
As I write I'm cooking stew
   and I've got the wash out on the line.
How's the winter been up there?
   Ours has been warm and mild."
Reading of her little joys and cares
   simply made me smile.
And so with paper, pen,
   I sat down to make reply.
One page quickly turned to ten,
   as my thoughts just flew on by.
"Tell me of your plans for spring.
   Have you been writing much?
The birds outside have started to sing,
   they twitter about twigs and such."
I always find it wonderful
   to hear from a friend so dear.
Letters? I have a drawer full!
   To my heart they're very dear.

2 comments

  1. So sweet! I, too, love to write and receive handwritten letters! Pen-friends have been such a special blessing in my life, ever since I was just a little girl.

    And I must mention...I have been enjoying your winter scenery photos, Emily! The snow and mountains are magnificent. Praise God for His breathtaking handiwork! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on both counts: Praise God for the beauty surrounding us everyday! And yes, penfriends are extra special, aren't they?

      Delete