Roses

Thursday, June 2, 2016

Joy of my desire, all consuming fire;
Lord of glory, Rose of Sharon,
Rare and sweet.

You are now my peace,
Comforter and friend,
Wonderful, so beautiful,
You are to me.

I worship You in spirit and in truth.
I worship You in spirit and in truth.
There will never be a friend as dear to me as You.

"Joy of My Desire"

One late evening in the dimming light of a rainy day, Quinn was kind enough to accompany me to the sea side where the Sitka Roses were all in bloom. It was very near our bedtime, but I recently found a recipe that involved rose water, and I wanted to try my hand at making it.



The little pink petals smelled so amazing, we often found ourselves smelling the sweet air instead of gathering more!

The roses reminded me of the song above, and I have had it stuck in my head since! I don't know what a Rose of Sharon smells like, but its hard to think of it smelling any sweeter then the Sitka Roses we enjoyed picking.


The rose water recipe I found called for two cups of rose petals (wild roses being the best, you don't want pesticides!) and four cups of boiling water. It didn't call for a cute puppy, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt to have one...


I shall take this moment and tell you how wonderful it is to have a husband who is sweet enough to tromp all over and take photos of me. I could not write this blog without him and his amazing photography skills.


The evening we took these photos he stopped after taking a few and told me, "You're so beautiful."

He's always is there to make me feel loved, just like my Heavenly Father.

"Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her,"
Ephesians 5:25
"In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies.
He who loves his wife loves himself."
Ephesians 5:28
 This next chapter in our lives will be an interesting one. Now that I have my new job, Quinn's schedule and mine are very different. It seems we will not be seeing much of each other for this summer, but there is always a bright side: though we only have one day off together, that day is Sunday. The most important day of the week we will be able to spend together at church and in rest. Together. Just another little reminder that God is always looking out for my best friend and I.
 {Lupine and poisonous Indian Rhubarb against Admiralty Island in the distance.}
As the light grew ever dimmer, we decided it was time to start the trek back home...
But not without some wild iris, lupine, and sweet peas!

As I write this, I have finished my second day of work at my new job. I can already see a great need for Christ's love in the teens I am working with and in my fellow staff members. Please pray for me as I try to show everyone His love (and also, starting a new job is hard and there's so much I have to learn! Please pray I can keep up with all the new things being thrown at me!). 

Thank you so much for your kind comments, 
and have a wonderful rest of your week.

1 comment

  1. Emily, this is a beautiful post. Quinn is doing an amazing job of capturing beauty in each picture - especially his wife. And Greta, too.:) I wish there was a way to smell the roses because they look like they smell heavenly. The last photo is my favorite.
    It sounds as your job is going to be a challenge, but a good one. The Lord has certainly opened a door for you; I know you will be a blessing. We will pray the Lord will use you to reach those you are with each day.
    Enjoy your Sundays with Quinn. They will be even more special now that your time together is limited.
    Take care.
    ~Donna

    ReplyDelete