An Octoberfest Celebration

Monday, September 30, 2019

A Small Note:
These photos were taken last year, 2018, but for whatever reason I never got around to writing the story to share it with you. I hope you will enjoy it nonetheless - 

September is drawing to a close, and here we are approaching the first of October. Last year I got it in my head to host an Octoberfest party, and what a grand time we had! I must say, thinking back I do believe we planned it mostly for the thought of the food, but there was so much more to it than that. I do hope you enjoy this little story, and perhaps you will find some inspiration to host your own Octoberfest celebration come October first!

It all started the morning of the first, with making the pretzel dough (I followed this recipe here, but if you would like an easier version - that doesn't require the baking soda bath - I recommend this version which I've made numerous times.)! Quinn was very kind in helping me with all the planning for the celebration, and the two of us had a marvelous time rolling and shaping the pretzels (the best part, second only to eating them!).

Besides making the pretzels, the fancy dessert would need to be made before the party as well. After looking through ideas of traditional German treats, I settled on making 'apfelstrudel', or apple strudel. I had never made nor had I ever tried this dessert which is so lovingly sung in the song "Favorite Things": 'Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudel...' After reading through the recipe, I knew I had my work cut out for me - this was no easy dessert!

Instead of rolling out the dough as you normally would, you actually stretch it thinner and thinner until you have a  large sheet of dough you can see through! I was a little nervous about making one large apple strudel, so I chose to make two smaller ones instead. My dough didn't stretch nearly enough I believe, but I'm sure next time it will turn out even better!

We used our own apples from our apple trees to make these, they were ripe and ready to go! After stretching the dough out as much as I dared, it was time to fill it and then wrap it all up - using a tea towel placed underneath to help guide the dough. Soon the Barn was smelling amazing with scents of apple and cinnamon. 

It was nearing time for our Octoberfest celebration to begin! Quinn was on the back porch grilling brauts, while I ran to and for hanging up decorations and picking bouquets for the dinner table. Just as important as the decorations, we chose our outfits well! Abigail and I wore German dirndls, and Quinn - not wanting to be left out but owning no lederhosen - chose the next best thing: a kilt!

As the food was laid out on the counter and the last few dishes were set on the table, Quinn hooked up his phone to the loud speakers and blasted German polka music! Dancing ensued...

Everyone grabbed a plate and a fancy bottle of ginger ale, and together we sat down to enjoy the music and food of Germany.

We talked and chatted and tried to sing along to the fun polka songs. I was so happy with how everything turned out - especially the pretzels! After eating, we all felt so full the thought of dessert wasn't even near our minds - so we cleared the table and opted instead to play a game of 'Settlers of Cattan' before continuing with dessert. It should be a surprise to no one that Quinn won the game, haha!

Before it got too dark out, we ran outside to get some photos in front of the apple trees (which were looking so lovely in their autumn colors). Greta had been busy watching the chickens, and wasn't too thrilled about getting her picture taken. Quinn on the other hand was ready and willing (it's fun to see how 'short' his hair was then, a year ago, compared to how long it is now)!

Back inside, we were starting t find ourselves eyeing the apple strudel when Abigail announced she had also made a dessert: fresh, homemade donuts! So while I warmed up the apple strudel in the oven and dusted some powdered sugar on top, she set to work over mom's antique gas stove frying donuts.



Suddenly we didn't seem full anymore, we were ready for dessert! Abby had all sorts of yummy toppings for her donuts - chocolate, maple and vanilla icing, coconut, sprinkles, and cinnamon sugar as well! I am also happy to report that the apple strudel turned out quite delectable even though my dough wasn't as thin as I would have liked. It still turned out flakey and "crisp" - as Maria sings that it should be. And it was made all the more perfect with a scoop of ice cream on top (looking at these pictures, I think it's about time we made al these desserts again, wouldn't you agree?).


 We finished the night munching on leftover pretzels listening to the wood cook stove crackle away with a fire. It truly was the best way to start off the month of October - so I do hope you've been inspired to make a German dish or even to throw your own little Octoberfest celebration. Please do let me know if you try your hand at making pretzels or apple strudel - I would love to see your results.
Have a wonderful October Dear Friend!

Post a Comment