A Mother's Day Surprise

Wednesday, September 4, 2019

A Small Note:
It's been quite the bustling summer here at Blueberry Barn. So busy in fact, that I started writing this post back in June and then promptly forgot all about it! So it is coming to you quite later than I had intended, but I hope that you will enjoy it none the less. 

The weekend of Mother's Day, back in May, was awfully busy. Not only did we have a party to plan for Sunday afternoon, Quinn, dad, and I were working like crazy to finish the new living room addition on the Barn (where the party was to be held). Dad had put up the last piece of trim late Saturday night, but then of course there was the cleaning to do, and what about decorations? Quinn and I worked late into the night and even put some time in before church the next morning! We wanted to make sure Melissa had an absolutely wonderful Mother's Day!

Pictured above is the "Mother's Day Cake" - a very dense cake made of ground almonds and orange peal, topped with buttercream frosting - from one of my cake cook books. I had made it the year before (again for Mother's Day, of course) and mom had loved it and requested it again. Last year I had decorated it with fake bunches of lily of the valley, but this year I decorated it with cherry blossoms, salmon berry flowers, wild violets, and large purple flowers made of foam - I thought the flowers looked so pretty with the pastel green buttercream frosting.

We had planned a tea party, to be started shortly after church Sunday afternoon. Quinn, Laura, Abigail and I ran around bringing dishes from hither and thither and setting the table just so - it all looked marvelous when we finally had mom come!

Melissa's mother, Quinn's grandma Kay, also came to the celebration, so we had two moms to celebrate! On the menu were: tomato bruschetta, a dish of apples and oranges, a dish of assorted vegetables, cucumber sandwiches, a plate of cheeses, deviled eggs, and three different types of tea - rose, lavender with chamomile, and peach. There were so many pretty dishes that the table couldn't hold them all, so the wood stove (which wore flowers and a pretty tablecloth) stepped in to help - and how pretty everything looked too!

I used my blue willow dishes along with some orange and blue lusterware mom and dad gave me last year for Christmas. The two sets looked perfect together, but of course nothing looked nicer than the lovely group of people gathered around the table! Quinn and I both said later that it was the perfect way to start off life in our brand new living/dining room.


The party was wonderful but I would be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to the presents afterwards the most... You may remember from several posts ago that mom, dad, Laura and Abby all were gone early in spring for almost two months. Quinn and I stayed in their house during this time to take care of the animals. Quinn really enjoyed having more room and being able to spread out, but I was more interested in mom's new toy...

This last winter Melissa talked her dad into helping her make the doll house of her dreams! It was so big it had to be put together in her bedroom, and it took hours and hours for her to paint it. This doll house was quite the step up from her previous doll house, which had been an armoire with only two shelves inside.

I had always been enchanted by mom's dolls and her miniature collection - and now I could secretly play with it! But my mind was reeling with ideas - so I set to writing. While Quinn and I housesat, I wrote a short story about the dolls, giving them names and personalities (which was so much fun!), and then I grabbed Quinn's camera and started taking pictures. I wanted to create a book for Melissa as a Mother's Day present, with the story and photos all involving her new doll house!

It was a bit more work than I had first thought, the hardest part was getting the right lighting for the photos (as it was still so dark in February!), but eventually all the photos were taken and then came the actual making of the book. I used a program online to format my book and then to get it printed. I was so nervous with how it would turn out...but then the book finally came, and I had to hold in my joy for fear I should scream. It turned out so wonderfully!

And now we go back to Mother's Day, with mom opening her present! I am happy to report that she was thrilled, and after a yummy time eating dessert (a slice of cake each, along with a pavlova - homemade by Abigail and so amazingly good!), we all sat around her as she read it out loud to us. I wish I could show you the book in person Dear Friend, but I have something that can reach across the miles to wherever you are - a video!

Quinn helped me put together this little video of the photos from the book, with me reading the story along with them. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing it (be forewarned, it is quite dramatic! Haha!).


And as a small little bonus to this post, I thought it would be marvelous to include some photos of Melissa's charming doll house at it's current state (for she has spent lots of time getting everything just so, as well as making little things here and there for it since my photos were taken in February). I'm sure it will set your imagination off just as it does mine...
(Yes, in case you're wondering, her bedroom walls are a bright green!)

Above is the doll house in all its glory! Melissa designed it herself, and took great care painting and wallpapering it. The top most floor is a bedroom, underneath this is the kitchen, followed by a living room. The two bottom rooms are a sewing room and another bedroom (with a bathroom as well!).

If only I could shrink myself down to the size of a Madame Alexander doll - this is my dream bedroom! The sleigh bed, the vanity, the changing screen, the lamps, the wallpaper! Oh yes, if this was my bedroom I doubt I would ever leave it!

Lets move down a floor, shall we? The kitchen is by far my favorite room in the whole house as there is so much to look at and to play with. There are two stoves, so if the dolls want to keep up with Melissa they will need to get another one (as she has three in her kitchen!).























Here on the kitchen table are some flower seed packets I made for mom not long after Mother's Day. My fingers had glue all over them for several days after I made them, but didn't they turn out darling? The wreath that hangs above the table was made by mom - it will be switched out soon with another one mom made, this one with autumn colors!

In the picture on the bottom left you will see two mini watercolor paintings done by Abigail - don't they look perfect with the blue lined China on the hutch?










































As we make our way to the next floor down we find ourselves in the living room! Here the dolls greet their friends and play music together on cold winter evenings.

Mom has the living room looking more like an enchanted garden - with pots of flowers and charming knickknacks all around (the miniature cuckoo clock is so adorable!):

On the left you'll see a painting of Tasha Tudor done by Heather of 'Sleightholm Folk Art' (mom has quite a few of her paintings in the doll house - if you would like to see more of her artwork I highly recommend visiting her shop - mom and I are big fans of hers!). Tasha has been a big inspiration to Melissa in her doll house endeavors.
Oops! But it looks like some of the girls are practicing the piano! Let's not disturb them any longer and instead make our way downstairs...
 The brightly colored quilt and pillows of the bed on the left was a Christmas gift I made for mom this last winter. I was very proud of how the whole set turned out!

Oh, dear me! It seems we accidentally walked in on some of the dolls changing for dinner! My deepest apologies ladies, we'll be off on our way!
On to the sewing room...





















The mannequin, bolts of fabric, and the tiny box of sewing patterns were other things I made for mom. I've never had an excuse before to create miniature things, and I have so enjoyed doing it. Thankfully I have a willing recipient for all my mini craft projects! Thanks mom!
Well that's all the rooms! I do hope you enjoyed this intimate look into Melissa's doll house, I know I did (I had such a grand time taking all these photos!)! Before you go here is a little closer look at the sets of rooms, so the layout is a bit more clear:

Thank you so much Dear Friend for reading along and for coming on a tour of the doll house. I do hope you enjoyed our time together! Please do be on the watch for more posts, as I have some fun things planned for the coming months. Until next time, Friend!

6 comments

  1. Oh, Emily, I have waited quite some time to see Melissa's dollhouse and it was totally worth the wait. It is the most beautiful dollhouse I have ever seen. (Don't tell the Tudors.) The attention to detail is unbelievable. I don't even have words. And your book - you are so very talented, my dear. Melissa must have been overjoyed to receive such a lovely gift for Mother's Day. Thank you for sharing the dollhouse and your book. I will be returning to this post again and again. It is magical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you've had to wait so long to see the doll house, Donna - but I'm so happy you enjoyed the photos so much. I plan to do another post on the doll house this winter when mom has it all decorated for Christmas as well (I'm looking forward to that with GREAT anticipation, haha!). Thank you so much for your sweet comments dear friend!

      Delete
    2. Emily, I was so wrapped up in the dollhouse that I didn't tell you how lovely your tea party was. Melissa is so blessed to have such a creative and loving daughter-in-law. I am looking forward to seeing the dollhouse at Christmas. It will be here before we know it. Hope you are enjoying some beautiful autumn-like days in Alaska. We are still roasting with 100+ temps here in Texas.

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous doll house and the inhabitants of it - and Melissa looks like one of them. The book must've been beautiful and your voice is perfect for story reading, very capturing. You'd be great in reading audio books. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you are too kind Friend! Thank you for the sweet compliments - and yes, I have to agree that Melissa looks quite at home with the dolls!

      Delete
  3. The tea party fixings, the dollhouse...the video! So utterly enchanting! You did such a lovely job, and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete