Pretty Maids all in a Row

Saturday, April 23, 2016

I am the sort of girl who saves all of her money and never spends it. Ever. It took a dear friend in college to tell me I needed to have fun once in a while. Of course all my stores of money flew out the window when I got married (marriage has this way of pushing you right out into adulthood, no matter if you think you're ready for it, and no matter if you think you really need a couch). Nowadays I find myself with one thing on my mind, and that thing is dresses.

I adore dresses, especially ones who's vintage and retro appeal make me long for a big band playing some swing music to dance to. I also love cute patterned frocks and house dresses, which make me want to roll up my sleeves and get the cleaning done! And then one day I happened upon my now favorite Etsy store Marilla's Apparel, and my already depleted bank account took another hit...

{A screenshot I took from the 2011 movie}
Mia, who is the shop owner, is absolutely amazing and the styles of her dresses make my heart skip a beat in joy! There is a whole list of things I look for in clothing, but at the top is modesty, and Mia's wardrobe of fashionable dresses fits that to a T!
What I loved about this dress in particular was the white lace collar and the sleeves. It wasn't until I was watching one of my favorite movies, Jane Eyre, that I realized why I had liked the dress so much. It was the same as several dresses in the movie!


{Taken from IMDB}
{Taken from IMDB}

I guess now I have a reason to run around on the moors and pretend my one true love has lied to me and been married to another!

...Or maybe I'll just do my hair like Jane's and call it good. I don't think Quinn would like me running out to the tide flats at strange hours of the morning.  




--------------------------------------------------------------

The other day my husband Quinn and I took my sister-in-law's senior photos out at a local garden. Abigail had spent the whole morning curling her amazing golden hair, and she looked like an angel as she danced across the green lawns of the garden. Her dress was found in a tiny shop all the way down in Sedona, Arizona on a recent trip there.

None of us had been to the garden before, and the flowers were more than beautiful! It had rained the whole way out to the gardens, and we prayed and prayed that the Lord would hold back the rain for Abby's photos. We were so thankful as we stepped out of the car and found that the rain was mostly over, and that sunshine was replacing the gray clouds!


I can't believe Abigail is already graduating, it seems like a short time ago that we were meeting for the first time (back when she was in 8th grade!).

After most of the senior photos had been taken, we walked around and admired the flowers.
















From Mother Goose:


Mary, Mary, quite contrary,

how does your garden grow?

With silver bells, 

and cockle shells, 

and pretty maids all in a row!
To end our photo session, we made a stop at one of the prettiest places in all of Juneau: The Shrine of Saint Therese. After Abby was tired of smiling (who could blame her?) we made our way into the sanctuary and sang "You Raise Me Up" together. 

There is nothing quite as special as the love of a sister.


"But let all who take refuge in You be glad, let them ever sing for joy; and may You shelter them, that those who love Your name may exult You." 
Psalm 5:11

------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. - On the day that this is posted (Saturday) it will be my birthday! Expect a post with dear friends and pumpkin pie - my favorite dessert - soon. Have a wonderful Saturday!

3 comments

  1. Happy Birthday, Emily. We hope you had a most wonderful day filled with all things lovely.
    Your photos are beautiful. I l o v e your dress. I think it was worth every penny you withdrew from your savings account.:))
    The flowers are gorgeous and it definitely looks like spring.
    Abigail. Oh, she looks so pretty in her graduation photos. Please give her our congratulations.
    The girls and I are enjoying your blog. Thank you for sharing your beautiful words and pictures. We look forward to many more posts.
    Have a lovely Sunday and week ahead~
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Emily!
    This is Jaclyn from TN. I'm so happy I came across your blog and look forward to hearing more about your adventures.
    What a beautiful dress! I love vintage and retro looking dresses as well. Have you heard of www.bodenusa.com? This is a British clothing store and it sells some lovely dresses.
    Have a nice evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jaclyn! I'm so happy you found me here!

      No, I haven't heard of Bodenusa, but I will look them up! Vintage and retro dresses are my absolute favorite. Though, I'm sure my husband isn't always happy when I want to buy every one I see, haha! ;)

      I hope you are doing well!

      Delete