A Pretended Spring

Thursday, April 21, 2016

As I went about my early morning chores yesterday morning, I was filled with excitement for the day. The sun was shining, and I simply couldn't wait to go outdoors and plot around the sunny landscapes.

As I took those first few steps outside (though, it wasn't to explore, it was to shake out the kitchen rugs) Greta followed behind me and we both agreed it was beautiful!



So I guess it would stand to reason that I would have the following song stuck in my head for the rest of the day. It sure felt like Spring to me!



But, as I happily skipped around the garden with Greta, my dear mother-in-law confided in me the sad truth: there had been frost everywhere that early morning. Quinn reiterated the story, there had been a thick layer of frost over the yard.

Did this faze me? No. I skipped around anyway and pretended it was truly Spring.

In Juneau, sunny days are few and far between. This day seemed like the perfect one to get Blueberry Barn looking ready for Spring! After a short walk down the lane, we found a little strand of willow trees. I clipped some of the thinner branches and Greta helped - sort of:



Two Autumns ago I made two heart-shaped wreaths for the front of the Barn, but they were looking rather old and worse for wear. It was time for something new! This year, I decided to do regular circles.



With patience I sat out in the sunshine weaving the new wreaths. When the wild flowers start growing I'll thread their blooms through the willow and decorate them, but for now they'll grace the front of the Barn as they are!




With some of the extra snips of willow, I decided I'd make a mini heart wreath (because who doesn't love a heart-shaped anything?). It turned out so cute I would have to put it in a place of honor!



From Mother Goose:

Daffy-down-dilly has come to town,
In a yellow petticoat and a green gown.

---------------------------------------------------

Now because it was such a lovely day, Quinn and I decided a picnic was in order. 

"It will be our first picnic of the year!"

Now that was a happy proposition. So together we baked some cookies, packed some sandwiches, and off we went to our favorite little beach. Greta was sleepy from skipping around all morning outside, but she was excited to go somewhere she hadn't yet been. 

After a short jaunt through the trees, we found the perfect picnic spot. A sunny stretch of beach with a gentle breeze blowing in the salty air. 

Together we sat and ate our lunch - Greta too! - and afterwards we soaked up the sun and read fairy tales.




Greta, despite her happy face to the left, did not really enjoy the cold ocean waves. She was much happier in our arms than near the wet rocks.










As we sat, Quinn proposed that we have many, many more picnics, and I whole-heartedly agreed! Everyone should have more picnics in their lives, especially when there are nice sunny days to be had. Hopefully the Spring and soon-coming Summer will lend themselves to many sunny days.


Before you ask, yes, that is my darling husband Quinn.

What is he wearing, you ask?

Well, of course he's wearing his kilt! After all, if it was warm enough for me to wear a dress, it was warm enough for him to wear a skirt.

And doesn't he just look dashing?




I will admit it was a bit hard to go back home. 
If I could, I would have laid out in the sun all the rest of the evening...

The heavens are Yours, the earth is also Yours; 
The world and all it contains, You have founded them.
Psalm 89:11
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. - Have you seen my About Me page? There's a fancy new video there now! I always like to imagine the person's voice when I read a blog, and I love hearing what they sound like in real life, so I thought I would make a little About Me video just for you. I hope you like it!

2 comments

  1. Oh, your picnic spot is stunningly beautiful. I cannot even imagine. Little Greta is just precious. I don't blame her for wanting to be held rather than brave the icy cold waters. Your wreaths are so pretty. I hope you will put pictures on the blog as you add flowers throughout the seasons. I had to laugh about your comment on Quinn's kilt. Fair is fair.:) Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is one of our favorite movies. I can just see you dancing through Alaska singing that song. You are blessed to live in such a beautiful place surrounded by the people you love. Enjoy the warm(ish) days. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I will keep you posted as I decorate the wreaths with flowers. :) You need to come up to Alaska and experience it for yourself! I would take you on picnics! Haha!

      Delete