A Week of Winter Poetry - Day Two

Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Here we are on day two of my 'Week of Winter Poetry'! The following poem I wrote on a really slow day up at work(when I get most of my inspiration, haha!). At the moment Quinn and I are both working up at Eaglecrest, our local ski area. He as a ski/snowboard instructor, and I myself as a member of the Ski School office, sending all the students out to him. It's been fun working up there, though I'm not sure how much longer I can hide from learning how to ski...(Quinn has been trying to get me on the slopes since we were dating).

The Ski School office is the location of our 'lost & found', which holds everything from ski poles to missing lunch boxes. I was inspired by the large tub of lost gloves we always have to write this following poem. I hope you enjoy it!

Lost Mittens
From my poetry notebook
My favorite pair of gloves - but a warm corgi is always nice too!

I have lost my mittens
I don't know where they've gone
I know I had them yesterday
When I was playing on the lawn.
And I know I had them after
When I went down by the sea -
I took them off to throw some rocks
But I brought them back with me.
I used them to defeat the neighbors
in an epic snowball fight,
and I thought I brought them back inside
when I came home for the night.
But now I can't seem to find them
They're not by my hat or coat
And my mom didn't say she moved them
Nor did she leave me a note.
So I guess I'll stay inside
What else is there to do?
You don't know where my mittens hide
or where they are, do you?

My mother had my mittens,
Yes she had them the whole time
Hidden in the highest spot
Hung up on a line.
Right above the wood stove
To get them warm and dry
Just ready to give me toasty hands
Under winter's snowy sky.
So if you've lost your mittens
And you've searched both near and far
Just ask your mom, I promise
She knows right where they are!

1 comment