A Week of Winter Poetry - Day Three

Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Hello again Friends! Thank you for joining me on day three of my 'Week of Winter Poetry'. Today's poem was a lot of fun to write and talks about all the seasons of the year - I love the idea of all the seasons being sisters. Of course there are quarrels between them every so often: Winter creates a late hard frost just as Spring has her daffodils blooming, Autumn comes early with cold rains and brings a chill in the air to Summer's last golden days. These quarrels sound a bit more poetic than the fights my sisters and I would have, but you get the idea, haha!

Now do tell, what is your favorite season and why? Has it always been your favorite or has it changed? When I was a young girl living in Texas, dreaming of the home I had left in Alaska, my favorite season was winter because there was hardly a winter to speak of! Now that I'm back in my beloved Alaska my favorite season is autumn, just because it's so fleeting here. One day we have gorgeous colors and the next day the wind and rain carry them away. Oh well, it makes it all the more special since it lasts only a little while.

But without further ado, I hope you enjoy today's poem!

The Season's Banquet
From my poetry notebook

One fine day in April
The Seasons gathered for tea.
And this was quite unusual,
To have four and not just three.
For one must always be busy
It was their duty after all.
But Spring was taking a break
And letting Jack Frost cover it all.

This was a big occasion,
As all the sisters knew -
Everything must be perfect
From the first "hello" to the last "audeu"!
Everyone helped decorate
With icicles and flowers,
And Spring covered all the table
With a veil of silver showers.
Summer brought a salad,
Winter brought hot tea,
Autumn brought preserves and scones
and Spring sandwiches a plenty!

While they sat they chatted
about love and about the weather
(For Winter had eyes for Mr. Frost
Who was handsome and quite clever)
Autumn mentioned last year's early freeze -
Winter had to blush -
Spring gave a merry laugh,
While Summer talked in a rush.

And before the day was over,
They'd made plans to meet again,
As all said goodbye to each other
To each sister and dearest friend.
Yes one fine day in April
The Seasons gathered for tea.
And it sounds like they had such a lovely time
I wish they'd invited me!


Last night I actually had two friends over for a tea party, as well as my youngest sister who is visiting! We had a lovely time, just like the four Seasons in the poem, so I don't feel so left out now that I have had my own fancy tea party. Haha!


3 comments

  1. Would love to post your poetry (with credit) on one of my 7 blogs (community) at https://ginaannwatkinsday.blogspot.com/ is the hub. Look to the left and you will see them listed and where I would post it (maybe weekly) is on the Poetry with Panache blog. We have authors, poets, and poetesses' work displayed on separate pages. Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Gina you are so kind, thank you! Feel free to post my poetry with credit to myself and my blog (a link back to my blog would be great!). Please also send me a link to your posts where you share my poetry, I would love to see it on your blog! :) Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  2. Thank you! You will find your poetry at this link at the end here, however it will be Wednesday before I get it posted, as well as introduction to you and your blog.https://poetrywithpanache.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete