A Week of Winter Poetry - Day Four

Thursday, March 5, 2020

Hello again Dear Friends! I do hope you have been enjoying this week so far, and I pray my poems have brought a smile to your face each day. Today I am sharing two shorter poems - the first one I wrote after seeing the morning sun turn the mountains orange and pink. We have not been getting a lot of sun this winter so it was an amazing sight to behold! The second poem talks about the coming of light - something all Alaskans look forward to after our long, dark winters.

Morning on the Mountains
From my poetry notebook

The sun comes up, up over the brink -
It glazes the mountains in a tangerine pink.
The frost it sparkles, the wind is still -
Yet in the stillness hangs winter's chill.
The sun won't rise high above the peak -
Though faces turn in search of heat.
But warmth won't be found until home once again -
When in the presence of tea and a good friend.
New Year's Winter
From my poetry notebook

Pink noses and rosy cheeks,
Counting down the New Year's weeks.
And with each passing darkened day,
A little more light is here to stay.
And so all bundled, safe and warm,
I'll make my way into the storm
Of frosty flakes, of cutting ice -
To see the winter's magic sights!

Several times this winter I have had trouble bundling up for the elements outside my door. Not because I don't own enough scarves (I probably have too many to be truthful), but because the cold just seeps right into your bones, no matter how many layers you put on! It doesn't help that I work in an office that is constantly flooded with cold air as people move in and out from outside. Perhaps I should start wearing puffy snow gear to work like Quinn does? Haha!

Post a Comment