An Autumn Wardrobe

Sunday, September 22, 2019

Hello Friends, as many of you know I simply adore fashion! I've never really been one to follow the latest trends though, I know what I like and I wear it. Most of my tastes revolve around vintage and retro styles (perhaps with some old fashioned librarian thrown in for good measure), and I especially like pairing vintage hats with my outfits.

Summer is now over here in Southeast Alaska, and I just recently put away all my summer things and instead pulled out my fall sweaters, dresses and skirts. This is always a lot of fun (I do so love a fresh start on my shelves and in my drawers), and this year I thought it would be fun to look through my fall wardrobe and come up with some new outfit combinations! I felt my creativity flying as I pulled things out, and what a lovely time I had mixing and matching this and that. So in honor of the start of Autumn here in Juneau, I thought I would throw together a little video of some of my favorite fall outfits - and perhaps inspire you to create your own Autumn wardrobe to help usher in the season!

Below you will find a little run-down of each outfit - the brands, where I purchased this or that, and so on - and some history behind some of the pieces as well! I do hope you enjoyed the video and please let me know down below in the comments what your favorite outfit was (can you guess mine?)!

Outfit #1 - School Days

Hat- Vintage
Dress- Thrifted, Loft
Blouse- Thrifted, Gap
Bow Belt- Tatyana Boutique
Shoes- Thrifted, Dansko

Almost all of this outfit was bought second-hand! The only things that weren't were the bow belt and the hat (which was a gift, bought at a vintage store).
I often wear this dress during the winter too, but instead of the white blouse I pair it with a black turtleneck sweater.



Outfit #2 - September Sky

Hat- Vintage
Dress- Tatyana Boutique 
Belt- Thifted
Crinoline- Thrifted
Shoes- Payless

I got this dress for Christmas from my mom several years ago - the funny thing was my sister-in-law Abigail got the same dress for Christmas that same year from my mother-in-law! We've worn them together several times for shows, so much fun! The suitcase was more a prop rather than an actual part of the outfit. I was just so thrilled to find one this summer at an antique store (I've always wanted one ever since I was little and one of my Barbies had one, haha!). Sadly, none of the cruise ships would let me on board...

Outfit #3 - Oak Leaves

Hat- Vintage
Scarf- Thrifted
Sweater- Jeanne Pierre
Skirt- Vintage

In the video I start with wearing a pair of clogs with this outfit, but part way through I switch to the Alaskan choice of footwear: the Xtratuf! You will see all the locals wearing them should you ever visit. The sweater was bought at one of the only places in Juneau to buy clothes, Fred Meyer (and once you buy a piece of clothing there, you will soon see everyone else wearing it too! Ah, the joys of living in a small, isolated town).


Outfit #4 - Busy Bee

Hat- Vintage
Sweater- Thrifted, It's Our Time
Dress- Vintage, Etsy
Purse- Vintage

As you may have guessed by now I don't spend a lot of money on my clothes. I really enjoy searching through secondhand stores and vintage shops trying to find the next buried piece of treasure. Now that my family lives outside of Seattle, I often get to search through the big thrift shops there on my visits to them (where there is quite the diverse collection of things compared to little Juneau!).



Outfit #5 - Candy Apple

Hat- Thrifted
Dress- Etsy, Plum & Pigeon
Skirt- Berwin & Wolff
Shoes- Jambu

Yes, you read that right, that blouse I'm wearing is actually a dress! I just loved the look of the skirt with it so much I paired them together - and now I can get more wear out of the dress.
The purse is a treasured gift from a Norwegian gift shop in Decorah, Iowa. I have always loved the art of rosemaling, and someday I hope to learn how to do it myself!


Outfit #6 - Sock Hop

Dress- Stop Staring!
Purse- Vintage
Hat- Amazon
Stockings- What Katie Did

And now we're to our final outfit! This one may have been the simplest of all, but I loved how the red bag and lipstick added some flair! The hat also matched the colors of the dress perfectly, and I really felt like a movie star walking the streets of downtown Juneau.





I do hope this inspired you a little, Friend! I know this post was quite different than what I normally do, but I hope you enjoyed it nonetheless. I had such a fun time putting together the outfits and making the video, and it was made more special by getting to share my love of fashion with you. Please do let me know what your favorite outfit was and if you would like to see more fashion posts in the future. Until next time!

3 comments

  1. (Ekkkk)I love the video, Emily!
    Emily, you’re beautiful; and, Greta is the cutest munchkin. I of course favor outfit 3, Oak Leaves and 5, Candy Apple. The music choices are perfect and the video editing is amazing. I love you and Quinn dancing at the end :D
    Good day to you Emily; Stay cozy over there!!
    Erin R

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO fun! Love all of your outfits and accessories... couldn’t wait to hear what music you chose for each new sequence. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the video, you're a perfect model for vintage clothing!
    It's difficult to favor one outfit to another since you look stunning in each of them. If I could, I'd pick #1, it's really cute. And I really love the yellow sweater of #3! Too bad it can't be ordered online. And this strawberry dress of #4 is simply adorable, love the print.

    ReplyDelete